I’ve never been into diets but I’ve definitely experimented with food over the years to find out which foods my body performs best on. I like to think I eat a pretty wholesome diet but I still love a good detox every once in a while to keep the system in check.
Actually this 3-day detox (by Jay Robb) is the only detox I have ever done. I discovered it whilst training in the US about 10 years ago and I love it for these reasons:
- It’s only 3-days, so it doesn’t interrupt my training and I can always do it during a scheduled break. I like to do it every quarter but you could it monthly if you like.
- You can still eat! It’s restricted to fruit, vegies and salad but it appeals to me more than just a juice or soup!
- By the end of the 3 days I really feel cleansed and full of energy. Training feels easier and I feel like my body is absorbing nutrients better and more effectively. Even my taste buds get a real kick-start.
As with any detox, it takes commitment and support from those surrounding you to do it properly. Make sure you stock up on all the fruit a veg you need for the entire 3 days. The last thing you want to be doing is heading out to a supermarket where you’ll be surrounded by food. I find it helps if you can find a buddy to do it with. You’ve got to keep in mind that you should not do this whilst in heavy training (which is why I do t on breaks) and it’s important to keep exercise very light. Eg. yoga, stretching, walking. I hope you love this as much as I do! Good luck!
DAY 1 “The Pre Flush”
This is the hardest day for me because you need to fast (from food) until 6pm. Beginning at 8am you drink 180mls of protein shake every 2 hours until 4pm. For the protein shake combine 12 level tablespoons of whey or egg white protein with 1litre of water. Shake, blend, or stir and store it sealed in the fridge. Give it a shake before serving so that you remix the protein drink.
- Drink a glass of water an hour after you consume each protein drink or meal.
- Choose a protein that contains no artificial sweeteners.
- The protein drinks throughout the day will stoke your metabolism, lower your glycogen levels, and force your body to burn fat as part of its energy needs.
At 6pm you eat 3-6 cups of raw vegetable salad topped with:
1-2 tbs olive or flax seed oil (OR 1⁄2 avocado)
Juice of 1⁄2 lemon or lime
150g lean protein of choice (chicken, fish, turkey, or beef) OR
4-8 egg whites (scrambled)
Days 2 and 3: The Fruit Flush
Day 2 and 3 are a lot easier than the first day.
8am 1 serving fresh fruit
10am 1 serving fresh fruit
Noon 1 serving fresh fruit
2pm 1 serving fresh fruit
4pm 1 serving fresh fruit
6pm 3-6 cups raw vegetable salad
Top salad with
1-2 tbs olive or flax seed oil (OR 1⁄2 avocado) Juice of 1⁄2 lemon or lime (to also top the salad)
1 protein drink mixed as follows:
4 tbs high-quality whey or egg white protein powder. Stir and drink slowly.
FRESH FRUIT SERVING SIZES FOR REFERENCE: 1 SERVING = APPROX 100 CALORIES
2 medium Apples
1 medium Banana
1.5 cups Blackberries
1.5 cups Blueberries
1.5 cups Raspberries
2 cups Strawberries
2 cups cubed Cantaloupe
2 large Grapefruit
I cup Grapes
2 cups Honeydew
2 cups Watermelon
2 medium Oranges
I large or 2 small Mango
I cup Pineapple
- Remember to drink plenty of water. On Day 2 and 3 you will find you get hungry every 2 hours, which is when you are due to eat. Fruit will power your body while cleansing and purifying the cells and organs. The protein drink and water will help keep you hydrated.
- For more info on the Jay Robb 3-day fruit flush click here and visit his site www.jayrobb.com