It’s that time of year down under and winter is settling in. The common cold is making it’s way around households, workplaces, kindergartens, schools and day care centres. Never fear, the cold buster drink is here!
I got this home recipe off an athlete friend about ten years ago and it’s been my go to anytime I’ve felt a tickle in my throat, or if a bug is going around or generally just when I’ve felt run down and vulnerable to catching ‘something’. It may take some getting used to but I’ve actually grown to like this sweet ‘n’ sour tonic with floating pieces of crunchy, spicy raw ginger.
– 1 tablespoon Manuka Honey
– 1-1.5 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
– 1 cup boiling water
– Fresh ginger slices
It’s very simple to prepare. Just place the Manuka honey, vinegar and fresh ginger slices (I use the potato peeler to get my slices) in a mug and top with boiling water. Stir it up and its ready to go.
You only need to search online for a few minutes to discover the numerous health benefits these ingredients contain (see links below). It’s no surprise this little concoction works wonders. I always travel with Manuka Honey as its not easy to find overseas but the other ingredients are commonly found.
Read more about:
* Manuka Honey – the ‘healing honey’ contains anti-bacterial properties and is indigenous to New Zealand. Manuka honey is made by bees that feed on the flowers of the manuka bush, also known as the tea tree, in New Zealand. Opt for organic if you can.
* Apple Cider Vinegar has numerous health benefits. It truly is a superfluid. Opt for organic if you can.
* Ginger is well know for its medicinal properties one being to soothe a nasty cough.